Okay, so I guess my blogging hiatus was a bit longer than I expected, but this summer has been nuts, and I'm not gonna lie, blogging hasn't been on the top of my to-do list. But that's not the point...The point is, is that I'm back from Africa and back in action!
Anyway, as you can imagine, my African Adventure was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had, and as trite as it may sound, literally changed my life! And since it would be nearly impossible to write about all the meaningful experiences I had there and do them justice, I decided to compile a list of the Top 32 things I learned in Zambia, Africa that I didn't have to go to Africa to learn! Here goes...
1. God is in control...Trust Him
2. You become like those with whome you surround yourself
3. "Unconditional Love" is a redundant statement
4. Even though God is aware of us, he meets our needs through others
5. The fruits of our labors aren't always measurable and/or seen
6. It is possible to have a bucket bath and eat PB&J every single day for three weeks and still survive!
7. It's okay to cry in front of people
8. AIDS really is a modern day holocaust leading to 1 in 3 Zambian children orphaned
9. It's okay to wear brown and black together (i.e. black pants with a brown shoes) but only in the jungles of Africa!
10. My life in the U.C. really isn't that bad
11. Family is the most important thing in life
12. It really is possible to go more than two weeks without "technology" (cell phones, ipods, laptops, etc)
13. Petroleum jelly kills ticks better than just about anything else!
14. Living in the present is more difficult than it sounds
15. Love is an inexhaustible resource
16. Shopping and eating are truly my coping mechanisms
17. It's not things or possessions that create true happiness
18. Attitude is everything
19. The jungles of Africa are like a little slice of heaven on earth (especially when we have a handsome German tour guide named Mario ;)
20. I really miss my family when I'm away from them
21. Malaria pills and bug spray, and mosquito nets are absolute lifesavers
22. I'm not as much of a food snob as I thought
23. A single-roomed grass hut makes a perfectly good medical clinic/pharmacy
24. I'm capable of doing hard things
25. I admire those who exhibit grace amidst suffering
26. I really love my mom's cooking
27. The church is the same no matter where you go
28. It is possible to live out of carry-on for three weeks
29. Being a nurse really is my true passion in life
30. Zambians are Snow College Badger fans!
31. I'm capable of traveling for 44 hours straight without a shower, good sleep, and/or a change of clothes.
32. Blond, blue-eyed, curvy girls (that's me) really stand out in Africa!